“Einstein’s matriculation certificate at the age of 17, showing his final grades from the Aargau Kantonsschule (on a scale of 1-6, with 6 being the best mark).”
The Council of Education of the Canton of Aargau hereby certifies:
Mr. Albert Einstein of Ulm, born 14 March 1879, attended the Cantonal School of Aargau, namely, the IIIrd and IVth class of the Commercial School.
On taking the written and oral exam of maturity on 18, 19 and 21 September, and on 30 September 1896, he received the following grades:
- German language and literature: 5
- French language and literature: 3
- English language and literature: —
- Italian language and literature: 5
- History: 6
- Geography: 4
- Algebra: 6
- Geometry (planimetry, trigonometry, stereometry and analytical geometry): 6
- Descriptive geometry: 6
- Physics: 6
- Chemistry: 5
- Natural history: 5
- In drawing: 4*
- In technical drawing: 4*
*The performance over the course of the year is considered.
Based thereon he is issued the certificate of maturity.
Aarau, 3 October 1896.
In the name of the Council of Education,